I started taking my daughter to participate in an organization called #HashtagLunchbag in winter 2014. She was just 5 at the time but still gained much from the experience of volunteering, giving back to others, and gratitude for your own … Continue reading
Hello readers… followers… and anyone who just happens to stumble across this tiny piece of neuroticism that I share with the world.
So I realize that I’ve been bad about keep up with the blog lately. Real bad. So sad. So busy. busy busy busy. But that’s no excuse. So I apologize up front. In any case… outside of the every day things that I am personally going through as a parent to now 5 and 3 year olds…. what else can I offer to you on this blog? What else would you like to have a schedule or plan for? haha. Is it even possible to plan anything else outside of sleep and feeding? 🙂
This video is definitely worthy of 1 minute of your attention. A little reminder for us all.
Well well… has it really been a year already? Oh my.
I know I’ve been a bit on the busy side the past couple months and slacking… but for those of you who still stop by and refer to the many schedule samples, diaper logs, etc… THANK YOU!
On another note: I’m excited to say that I FINALLY joined the Instagram world. ( I was holding out for a long time because being my neurotic self, I knew that IG would be another thing to consume me – just like Facebook and Pinterest) In any case, I’ve found it to be a fun place to post random daily happenings, mommy life, my life, and the photographer in me is obsessed with it now! Follow me @my.lsd
As I sit in on my one year anniversary of this blog, I reflect on the many posts I have put up on here and chuckle at some of my rantings… but filled with warmth amongst the other posts that document my journey in parenthood.
Thank you for celebrating with me! Cheers to the next year coming!
Well, there you have it… Today is my daughter’s 5th birthday. Which means that I have survived 5 years of motherhood. Most importantly, I survived the “feisty fours”!!!! Hallelujah!
I’ve been trying to take the time today to reflect on a lot of things…. how much she’s grown… and how much I’ve grown. It’s a milestone for both of us. There are days when I think, “damn, its gone by fast!” and of course, days where I feel like its not going fast enough. When it comes down to it, we are both certainly still learning… and there’s a lot to learn.
P.S. Every year on her birthday, I have a list of 20 questions that I ask her… same questions every year. Its like an annual “Birthday Interview.” The last question is “what do you want to be when you grow up?” This year she says teacher. What an upgrade! Considering last year she said she wanted to sell hotdogs. PUAHAHAHAh
P.P.S. For her birthday photos this year, we used Old Poway Park as the backdrop, a beautiful dress (with matching sash and headpiece) from HappyBOWtique and glitter number photo prop from Tara’s Alphabet.
So only 24 people applied for this job…. even with requirements such as:
- Must be able to work 135+ hours a week
- Ability to work overnight, associate needs pending
- Willingness to forgo any breaks
- Work mostly standing up and/or bending down
- Ph.D. in psychology or real-life equivalent
- Crisis management skills a must
- Ability to manage a minimum of 10-15 projects at one time
- Ability to communicate at all levels (basic to advanced)
- Ability to coordinate multiple, often conflicting, schedules
- Ability to work in a chaotic environment
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in negotiating, counseling and culinary arts
- Unlimited patience
- Understanding of finance
- Understanding of medicine
- Selflessly driven
Gotta watch this. The ending sums it up. *sniff*
Was driving in the car with K this morning. We pass by a group of moms jogging with their strollers.
K: “What are they doing?”
Me: “Oh they are exercising”
K: “How come we don’t exercise?”
I thought about the various truths that I could tell him….about how shopping is cardio, and how mommy doesn’t like to sweat…. but I kept it simple…
Me: “Because mommy has been blessed with good genes.”
For anyone who knows me well…. they know that I hate to exercise. I have been blessed with good genes… but also find other ways to burn calories. I mean, come on… my son is a whooping 35 lbs. That is a work out in its own. Also…. shopping really IS cardio! Walking up and down aisles, arm movements through hangers of garments, pushing shopping carts or lifting shopping baskets. Hey… it all counts. Different strokes for different folks. You’ll never catch me in a mommy-stroller-group at the butt crack of dawn. But I’ll be first in line at Target the day after any holiday. 🙂
“A more competitive “super-shopper” may walk up to 5 mall-miles in a three-hour
shopping spree. Along with lots of fidgeting, reaching for merchandise, and
waving at friends, calorie burning can top 500 calories for our 100 pound person
and up to 1,000 calories or more for the more substantial 200- to 300-pound
shoppers. This level of shopping should not be attempted without proper
training, or you may find yourself “hitting the mall.”
Oh la la… 5 ways to burn calories without exercise?? Works for me.
Thank you Tina at http://tinapumfrey.com/ for the Liebster Award nomination! I’m honored and happy to accept! What a great way to discover fresh and exciting new blogs. P.S. If you are wondering as to how this award originated, click here.
Upon accepting the Liebster Award, there are a few rules that need to be followed:
Link back the blogger that tagged you
Nominate ten others and answer the questions of the one who tagged you
Ask ten questions for the bloggers you nominate
Let your nominees know of their award
My responses to Tina’s 10 questions:
1. What book that you’ve recently read has made the greatest impression on you? – Sadly, I haven’t read a book in a long time. Although! I read a lot of children’s books because of my little ones. I guess that counts. So I would say, “Oh, the Places You’ll Go!” by Dr.Seuss. I actually just got this book for my daughter because I saw this cool idea on Pinterest to have it signed by all of her teachers between now and high school graduation.
2. What is your favourite song (of all time, or just for now), and why? Too may favorite songs! But right now, one that I am in love with: Rascal Flatt’s “My Wish” The lyrics are are just beautiful and really encompasses all the hopes and dreams that I have for my children.
3. Do you have any pets? – I did. 😦 I had the cutest pomeranian princess. But she passed away Feb 2013.
4. What’s your favourite home-cooked meal? – I love my mom’s Bun Rieu. Its a Vietnamese seafood soup. sooo yummy, especially on a cold day.
5. If you could spend one week in a city (or other place) of your choice, where would you go and why? – I’d be back in Amsterdam in a heartbeat! I absolutely love the the culture and the vibe of that city. So laid back and eclectic. I just feel right at home whenever I’m there.
6. What’s the best thing about your neighbourhood? – Best thing about my neighborhood is that its quiet and central. Great place to raise kids, good schools, access to multiple freeways. I’m never leaving!
7. What’s your least-favourite household chore? – Hmmm. I don’t like household chores anyhow, but my least favorite? – I’d say vacuuming. Its loud and cumbersome to drag the vacuum around.
8. What’s your favourite place to go when you need to recharge spiritually? – I guess there is a difference between recharging spiritually and simply recharging. Spiritually, I don’t really think that I spend enough time doing so. I can barely control my brain enough to meditate, sad to say. To simply recharge, my favorite place to go is to SLEEP!
9. If you were allowed to catch a glimpse of where you might be ten years from now, would you want to? Why or why not? – YES! I would! Because I’m a neurotic planner and if I had any clue as to where I would be ten years from now, then perhaps I could make it a smoother route to get there!
10. What motivates you to keep posting on your blog? – My stats.
My 10 nominations: (I’ve opted to nominate 4)
My 10 questions for the nominees:
1. Is the glass half empty or half full?
2. If you could meet with one person who passed away already, who would that be and why?
3. If you had to disconnect yourself from cell phones, computers, and internet for ONE day, what would you be doing instead?
4. What advice would you give your 23-year-old self?
5. What app can you not live without on your phone and why?
6. What website (besides WordPress) do you log into religiously every day and why?
7. What are your thoughts on destiny? Does it exist? Is there only one “end point” we are all meant to reach?
8. What is the first thought that comes to your mind when you hear the word “love”?
9. Who was the first person you spoke to today and what did you say to them?
10. What is the very last thing you do before you fall asleep every night?
Have fun with the questions! Pretty random, but thats the way I like them!
This was written with the intention of leaving a place for my children to learn more about me. It belongs to a much larger collection of posts located here.
1) I hate sweating.
2) I can’t work any earlier than 9am. not functional.
3) Cupcakes for breakfast is not a bad thing.
4) I have 360’d on the freeway twice in my life… and no, I was NOT under any influence.
5) I have an associates degree, bachelors degree, masters degree and a doctorate. It only took me 9 years.
6) I am a hustler at heart. Always doing something. At most, I think I was working 5 part-time jobs plus 50% stay-at-home-mom. damn.
7) I went to Amsterdam five years in a row from 2003-2007 and still know the city like the back of my hand. I miss that place.
8) It took me 5 years to finally ‘start’ to carve on my snowboard. sorry. slow physical learner.
9) When I was 17, my car got shot up because some biotch had mistaken me for somebody else. geesh. You’d think people would get their facts straight before they go drive-by on people!
10) In high school I used to get straight A’s in all my academic classes, but practically fail P.E. Did I mention that I don’t like to sweat and I’m not physical?
11) I make an annual slideshow every year to highlight my life. Started in 2004.
12) I worked at Burger King in 1995/1996 and made a whopping $4.25 an hour.
13) I’m a night owl. Even if I’m tired all day long, I can easily get consumed in something and be up til 1am.
14) I had my first epiphany when I was 23.
15) I got my first tattoo when I was 15, my second when I was 16, my third when I was 17. Then I took a break and got my tongue pierced at 18, belly pierced at 19…. Then…. I went on to get my 3 more tattoos and a couple touch ups in the years after that. #7 was done in 2008 in honor of my late great grandfather. While in Amsterdam in 2010 I got my daughter’s initial then in 2012 got my son’s. I added 3 new ones the year I was living my 33.33% life crisis. can we say ‘addicting’??
16) I’m a hopeless romantic. Sucker for all those unrealistic chick flick movies.
17) I cannot eat ANYTHING spicy. zero tolerance. (not even Jack in The Box tacos. I know – weak am I.)
18) I once took a shot of hennessey for breakfast in 9th grade… by the time I got to 1st period, I passed out in class. Fortunately, the teacher was an idiot and she thought I was just mal-nutritioned, so she gave me an apple and told me to eat.
19) I am a major PLANNER. Highly organized. Stick with me, and things will get done.
20) I’m 5’1″ and I swear I have been this tall since middle school. I stopped growing a loooong time ago.